Tuesday 19 February 2008

Karissa Boudreau

I haven't written about this yet, but I can't go a day without hearing something about it. Krissa Boudreau was buried today. Anyone outside on the Maritimes might not have heard a lot about the murder, but I'm not going to recap the details.

Everyone has their theories, but the police have made it very clear that this was an isolated incident.

This story has made me realize how much of a small town Nova Scotia is. The gossip and the hearsay are present here, even though I'm 175 kms away from the town. It seems like every incident of violence outside of Halifax has some effect on most communities in NS. We all have family or friends who live in other small communities in the province so people in this town are affected by what happens elsewhere.

I find it strange. I never thought of Home as a big city but now that I'm living in a small town I realize how isolated you are when you live in a city of any size. I was never connected to anything outside my little bubble. Towns seem to have some strange solidarity that is absent in cities. It could be a Nova Scotia thing. I've never lived in another province so my ability to compare is limited.

I've heard that if you ever want to get lost, move to the biggest city you can. This makes me think that you don't need a big city to lose yourself in, any size will do. I feel that there's more of a connection between my town and Bridgewater than there was between the different neighbourhoods at Home.

It's a strange feeling. I liked my bubble at home, and now I'm living somewhere where my neighbour might know my second cousins that I've never met, since most of my family came from NS. I could be related to my landlord for all I know.

Weird...

No comments: