Friday 29 August 2008

McCain's Running Mate

Normally I don't spend too much time on US politics, however I think that this warrants some attention.

Sen. John McCain has announced that his running mate in the upcoming election will be Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Although I am thrilled that the glass ceiling is cracking, I am very much off-put by her anti-choice stance and dismal record on the environment. I admire anyone with strong convictions but she is not the kind of woman I want one breath away from the presidency.

I am a little curious how she can reconcile her apparent drive to return women to their traditional roles (see her stance on health care benefits, gay-rights, and equal pay as well as choice) with her job. Even as governor she would have been working a job that would have cause conflict with her tradition-based beliefs, as vice president she would be in a position that required even more time away from her family. Can she balance her family role with her political career? Is she blazing the trail for women who want to participate in politics and raise a family? Is she a hypocrite?

No comments: